Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"Your college degree is a waste of time."

"Oh, so I guess your college degree is just a waste of time."

Yes, someone actually said this to me. Those words came out of someone's mouth and were addressed to me. I was the lucky recipient of this oh so graceful sentence. With the recent quick success of my new business, I have had several people make remarks like this to me. For those of you who do not know me, I am a senior Biology major with a concentration in Ecological, Environmental, and Evolutionary sciences. That's right, I want to be a scientist. I also however, am the founder and owner of Tiny Tribe Apparel. A quickly growing apparel line for kids and adults; we offer a little something for everyone in your tiny tribe. (Catchy, huh?) So here I am, stuck between the world of fashion, and the world of science. And now, people are telling me my degree is a waste.

Here's a little bit of background on my college education:
I have taken 2 years off, changed my major once and my concentration once, moved more than 5 times,  purchased my first house, I fell in love, got engaged, got married, got pregnant, delivered a baby, got pregnant again, had a miscarriage, lost my father, and started a business ALL while I was in school. To say the least, my path has been ANYTHING but conventional, and I am NOT your average college student. In the midst of all of this, I also had a couple of semesters where I didn't do too hot, due to having just a little too much fun. (I was 18, give me a break.)

And now, I'm in my senior year and people keep asking me what I want to do after I graduate. And to be completely 1000% honest - I have no idea. I have options. I have plans. But no, I don't know what I want to do. And I am totally okay with that. 1010% okay with it actually.

See here's the thing, I've always been a lover of fashion and trends, but I have fallen in love with it all over again since having a little one. I have never been more driven and passionate about something in my life than I am with my own business. I never thought this was something I could do as a career, but now I am seeing that it is! Did you know that there are less 20-something year old entrepreneurs in the United States now than ever before? I'm part of a dying breed. And I love it.

Tiny Tribe Apparel at New Orleans Fashion Week. 

I've always been a lover of nature. My father was too. He knew just about everything about everything. I don't even know how he fit all that knowledge in his brain. So I've always been science driven. I know, what a nerd?! The world is just such a fascinating place!

Okay, so where am I going with this? Basically the point I'm trying to make is my college education and degree is definitely not a waste, whether I do anything with it or not. What's wrong with setting a goal and completing it? No one can ever take my degree away, and it will never expire. As my amazingly wise best friend once told me, "I have the rest of my life to do what my degree allows me to do." Those words stuck with me ever since they came out of her mouth. That's so true. We live in this society that expects you to go to college, get your degree, and do whatever it is that you got your degree in for the rest of your life. And maybe that's the path you chose. Good for you. You get a gold star. I'm so glad you figured out life and all the secrets to everything ever. And maybe you're like me, and you're a late bloomer. Maybe you want more out of life. Maybe you found yourself a little later. Maybe you just changed your mind. You too, get a gold star. It doesn't matter what you do with your life, what matters is the manner in which you live it.

I've learned so many things just from obtaining my degree. Time management, how to prioritize, how to write professionally, how to be organized, self-determination and motivation, and how to network. These are all life skills that will help me no matter what field I go into. So, if you're in college and you are just kind of wandering around wondering where the free coffee is, don't sweat it. You have the rest of forever to figure it out. It's going to be okay. Just live with love and positivity. The rest will sort itself out. I promise. Your degree is most certainly not a waste of time. And as always, good luck.

Me and the hubs after his undergrad graduation in 2012. He is currently working on his masters. 




No comments:

Post a Comment